Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Nutella

We went on vacation for a month and I have some great recipes from that trip which I will post soon.
However, before we left, I made a great discovery.
We both like Nutella and eat small amounts as a regular treat. However, it has always bothered me to read the ingredients label which is the usual manufactured food list of synthetic chemicals, fats and sugar. Palm oil, lecithin, and artificial flavoring are problematic. It prominently advertisises hazelnuts but it only contains 13% hazelnuts. The rest is sugar and palm oil. I am trying to find substitutes for factory food that I can make out of simple ingredients at home.
Before we left on vacation, we ran out of Nutella. I didn't want to buy a new jar just before leaving. However, we did have a half jar of almond butter. I added some cocoa powder and sugar to this and made a simple substitute for Nutella which should be actually healthy.
To the half jar of raw, organic almond butter, I added 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of sugar. That's it. It tastes great and is easy. (You may want to adjust the proportions to meet your taste as well as consider adding real vanilla extract.) My simple recipe ends up with about 80+% almonds which has to be more healthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment